#20 — January 2009
Composer anniversaries for 2009
Dear %3% (%2%),
2009 Composer Anniversaries
Each new year gives a reason to pay extra attention to some composers because they were born or died a round number of years ago. This year there are again some well-known names among them.
For a complete list of anniversaries, see http://www.classical-composers.org/search/year0.
Below is a list of the most remarkable names.
- Jean Mouton (1459–1522) 550 years ago
- Henry Purcell (1659–1695) 350 years ago
- François Devienne (1759–1803) 250 years ago
- Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy (1809–1847) 200 years ago
- Sergei Liapunov (1859–1924) 150 years ago
- Giuseppe Torelli (1658–1709) 300 years ago
- Georg Friedrich Händel (1685–1759) 250 years ago
- Franz Joseph Haydn (1732–1809) 200 years ago
- Louis Spohr (1784–1859) 150 years ago
- Isaac Albéniz (1860–1909) 100 years ago
- George Antheil (1900–1959) 50 years ago
- Bohuslav Martinů (1890–1959) 50 years ago
- Heitor Villa-Lobos (1887–1959) 50 years ago
- Albert William Ketèlbey (1875–1959) 50 years ago
For those who have not yet seen it: last month I introduced the Musicatlas (http://www.classical-composers.org/musicatlas). Some small changes were made since then. The maps of Hungary, Budapest and Sopron can now be visited.
In February I plan to add maps of Italy! So, keep watching the Musicatlas, and let me know what you think of it.
Add your upcoming concerts
Don't forget to add your concert announcement. It's easy: go to the page http://www.classical-composers.org/submit/event, and fill in the details (remember: first log in!).
Remember, the newsletter archive can be found here: http://www.classical-composers.org/page/newsletters.
Your account details
Your user name is
If you forgot your password, you can request a new one. To do so, go to the following page: http://www.classical-composers.org/page/newpassword, and enter your e-mail address: <%0%>. A new password will then be sent to you.
You can visit your user page here: http://www.classical-composers.org/user/%1%.
If you want to change your account setting, then log in to the site and go to the account page: http://www.classical-composers.org/page/account.
With best regards,
Classical Composers Database
(If you no longer wish to receive the newsletter, click here, or log in to your account and change your newsletter settings.)