The renaissance era in music lasted from around 1400 till roughly 1600. This period can be subdivided into early renaissance (around 1400 till late 15th century), middle renaissance (late 15th century till early 16th century) and late renaissance (early16th century till around 1600).
Composers who have also written poetry or novels. These may, for example, have been used as texts for their own songs, or as libretto for their own opera.
- Bottrigari, Ercole (1531–1612)
- Campion, Thomas (1567–1620)
- de’ Bardi, Giovanni (1534–1612)
- Espinel, Vicente (1550–1624)
- Harant z Polžic a Bezdružic, Kryštof (Christophorus) (1564–1621)
- Luther, Martin (1483–1546)
- Valerius|Valéry, Adriaen [Adrianus] (1570–1625)