Composers that were born in Sweden, or gained the Swedish nationality.
Romanticism was characterised by idealising the expression of the emotions of the composer. The notion of the suffering artist stems form this period. The romantic era starts around 1800, and goes on some way into the twentieth century. In the first half of the twentieth century the ever more complex romantic music competed with the new forms and sound of the then modernistic composers.
- Andrée, Elfrida (1841–1929)
- Berwald, Franz (1796–1868)
- Crusell, Bernhard Henrik (1775–1838)
- Eggert, Joachim Nikolas (1779–1813)
- Hägg, Jakob Adolf (1850–1928)
- Hallén, Andreas (1846–1925)
- Hallström, Ivar Christian (1826–1901)
- Järnefelt, Armas (1869–1958)
- Lindblad, Adolf Fredrik (1809–1864)
- Mankell, (Ivar) Henning (1868–1930)
- Norman, Ludvig (1831–1885)
- Passy, (Ludvig Anton) Edmund (1789–1870)
- Peterson-Berger, Wilhelm Olof (1867–1942)
- Sjögren, (Johan Gustaf) Emil (1853–1918)