Composers who have also written poetry or novels. These may, for example, have been used as texts for their own songs, or as libretto for their own opera.
The Middle Ages lasted from around the year 500 till the beginning of the Renaissance, which was approximately 1400. Only few composers are known from that era.
- Abelard|Abélard|Abaelardus|Aballard, Peter (Petrus) (1079–1142)
- Codax, Martim (–)
- de Champagne, Thibaud IV (1201–1253)
- Dinis|Diniz, D. (1261–1325)
- d’Aquitaine|Guilhèm de Peitieus, Guillaume IX (1071–1126)
- Landini, Francesco (1325–1397)
- le Chancelier|Philip the Chancellor|Philippus Cancellarius Parisiensis, Philippe (1165–1236)
- von Bingen|Hildegard, Hildegard (1098–1179)
- von Wolkenstein, Oswald (1377–1445)